Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tender Mercies.

I think everyone is aware that my new job position is kicking me in the butt.  Its been a pretty consistent battle in my life.  I am really stressed.  Its a hard position to be in, I am the middle man in leadership and with the tellers. I find it hard being my employees best friends but needing to help discipline and keep that medium of leadership and friendship.  It was so simple just being a teller, when I needed help with a transaction or I had an angry member we were told to always get a supervisor.  Well, now I am the supervisor and some days I feel so inadequate for the position.  Questions get asked for situations I never dealt with and members are yelling at tellers for the most ridiculous reasons.  This week was one of those weeks for me.  Member after member was upset, and it was really taking me down. There was one person in particular that was extremely upset and the frustrating thing was it wasn't anything that we had done wrong.  I cant go into detail with the situation but it was really frustrating for me and the teller involved.  I sat there and took the yell for about 30 minutes. I apologized and did the best I could to let the member know we appreciate his service.  He left upset and I apologized to the teller.  About an hour later the man walked into the branch, I would be lying if i said that all the color did not drain from my face. I was extremely nervous for what was about to take place. I was in the middle of helping someone and when the other tellers greeted him he said he wanted to wait for me. I about died, I could not believe this was going to happen and was racing through my mind trying to figure out what to say and think of what I could have possibly done wrong.  After finishing with the member I was with he walked up to my window and leaned forward and started apologizing.  I was in such shock I didn't even know what to say.  He thanked me for being so understanding and taking the hit, for being nice.  He gave me a candy bar and left.  Some thing so simple made the biggest impact on me.  I was so impressed with his courtesy and willingness to admit his mistake and apologize I don't think that happens very much. People are always looking to blame their mistakes on others.  It meant the world to me and I will never forget that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment